By Adenike Lucas
Lieutenant General Abdulrahman Dambazau is a very quiet but honest, brilliant and hardworking man. He has served his country excellently over the years.
While some quarters are secretly trying to tarnish his reputation merely because he stood up to them in the 2015 election, others who are not even familiar with the Kano born officer have taking it upon themselves to set things straight.
A twitter account #IStandWithDambazau @Suprt4Dambazau set up up this year, aims to “counter every lie” being told against Gen. Dambazau “with the truth.”
In turn, I, Adenike Lucas have compiled ten facts about the interior minister.
Quiet but hard working, General A.B Dambazau.
- Lieutenant General Abdulrahman B Dambazau CFR is the first Nigeria army chief to hold a PhD degree.
- He worked hard to get to where he is now having served as a military police officer, Aide de Camp to the Chief of Army Staff (1979), commanded military police units and served as a Special Investigator (1984-1985).
- Dambazau was Registrar of the Nigerian Defence Academy from 1993 to 1999. He also served as Chief Instructor, Support Weapon Wing of the Infantry Centre and School from 1999 to 2001 and later as Directing Staff at the National War College from 2004 to 2006. From 2007-2008 he served as General Officer Commanding (GOC) 2nd Division, Ibadan. On November 2015, he was appointed by President Muhammadu Buhari as the Minister for Interior.
- In 2008, he was appointed Chief of Army staff by President Umaru Yar’adua. He retired in 2010. However, in his entire role (even as COAS), he was never tasked with the role of purchasing arms.
- Dambazau is a very intelligent scholar who got his PhD (Criminology) from the University of Keele in 1989.
- As Chairman Board of Trustee for Foundation for the Victims of Child Abuse (FVCA), a non-governmental (NGO), Dambazau has worked hard to prevent any form of child abuse.
- Dambazau, a former student of Barewa College, Zaria is listed as a Senior Visiting Fellow of the Centre for Peace, Democracy and development at the University of Massachusetts, Boston https://www.umb.edu/cpdd/about/staff .
- Also listed as a fellow and Associate of the Weatherhead Centre for International Affairs, Harvard University also in Boston firstname.lastname@example.org .
- Dambazau is from Kano State.
- The Kano indigene was head of the security committee of the APC campaign organisation. He worked hard during the campaign. Sources in the know believe that former President Goodluck Jonathan is now working alongside the former Petroleum Minister Diezani Alison-Madueke, EFCC acting chair Ibrahim Mustafa Magu, immediate past EFCC chair, Ibrahim Lamorde and pioneer EFCC chairman Mallam Nuhu Ribadu as pay back for working against them in the 2015 elections.