By Abdul Tukur
The Nigerian government has been forced to admit that the war against Boko Haram is yet to be won.
Femi Adesina, Special Adviser to President Muhammadu Buhari on Media and Publicity, said the insurgents have been “terribly degraded,”
Boko Haram, an insurgent group that has killed many and displaced millions of other people in the North-East, were said to have suffered defeat when the Nigerian military cleared Camp Zairo in Sambisa, a stronghold held by Abubakar Shekau, leader of the insurgent.
Then, Nigerians were led to believe that the murdering sect had been “completely defeated.”
Today, the Presidential aide admitted that they were not “totally” defeated.
But, he said that “compare how the situation was before this administration came. They were virtually running riots everywhere. You can’t compare then and now. They have been terribly, terribly degraded. But is the war over, no, it is not over.”
Mr Adesina’s remarks comes days after 110 students of Government Science and Technical College in Dapchi, Yobe, were abducted by the terrorists sect.
Speaking on a Channels TV programme on Sunday, he said: “I just want to appeal to the parents of those girls to please bear with the government and trust that the government will do all that is possible and necessary to bring those students back.”
“The insurgency was endemic in three states — Borno, Adamawa and Yobe. But Adamawa and Yobe has been quite under control because the insurgents were driven out completely,” Mr Adesina adds.
“So it is not unlikely that when they lost out in Sambisa forest, they then found their way back to Yobe which was why what happened, happened. But I’m sure the military is responding adequately to this.”