By Adenike Lucas
A popular artist accused of leading a “sponsored” protest against President Muhammadu Buhari’s administration, last night announced that the march will no longer go ahead.
Innocent Ujah Idibia, popularly known has Tuface or 2Baba, was to lead a nationwide protest on Monday, 6 February, 2017 but on Saturday night, citing “serious threat of hijack,” the father of seven, announced that the protest was cancelled.
The 41-year-old went on to add to his Instagram post that “he therefore announce cancellation of the planned protest and would share further information later.”
Many Nigerians came out to lambast the African Queen crooner, who is said to have received “2 SUVs” from the former Governor of Akwa Ibom, Senator Godswill Akpabio, for leading the protest on behalf of opposition parties.
The Governor of Ekiti State, Ayodele Fayose has made it known he was in support of the protest, but members of a well known member of the opposition, People’s Democratic Party, Deji Adeyanju has lambasted the state Governor.
In a short video, Tuface said the protest had been cancelled as: “It has become clear that the one voice Nigeria protest scheduled to in Lagos and Abuja on Monday the 6th of February is under serious threat of hijack by interest not aligned with our ideals.”
The protest was scheduled to hold on the day the President was meant to resume back to work but it has been reported by various media houses that the President has extended his vacation.
In a tweet, @adeyanjudeji states that the march will go on without the Benue born singer.
We will march on Monday across Nigeria. And show that Nigeria is greater than 2Face or anybody, he tweeted.
Nigerians have taken to various social media platform to welcome and express their delight at their President.
Abdulmumin Jibrin @AbdulAbmJ, former Chairman of the House Committee on Finance prayed that “the Almighty God grant him (PMB) the strength, good health and wisdom to lead Nigeria out of our current challenges..”