Nigerian Army Offers N500k Reward For Information On Suicide Bombers

By Adenike Lucas

The Nigerian Army is offering a cash reward of N500,000 to those who can provide information that will lead to the arrest of suicide bombers. 

On Monday, two suicide bombers attacked a staff mosque at the University of Maiduguri campus at 5:25 am Nigerian time, killing the head of the veterinary teaching hospital, Professor Aliyu Mani and four others.

One of the bombers was said to be a seven year-old boy. The leader of Boko Haram Islamist terrorist group, Abubakar Shekau claimed responsibility for the attack.

Following the spate of suicide bombings, the Army spokesman, Brigadier General Sani Usman, said in a statement on Tuesday in Abuja, that the military was offering a cash reward for the information that leads to the arrest of a suicide bomber, the guide to the factory of the suicide bombers.

This offer was also posted on the Nigerian Army’s social media account.

On Twitter, the Nigerian Army said it was going to “give N500,000 cash reward for information on suicide bombers.”

It also provided numbers for whistle blowers on its verified twitter account, @HQNigerianArmy.

Theatre Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole, Major General Lucky Irabor, which is battling the Boko Haram insurgency can be reached on 0906482321.

The troop of the Operation Lafiya Dole was able to successfully recapture Camp Zairo, a strong hold of the jihadist, last year.

On Tuesday, 17, January, 2017, the Nigerian military admitted fault in a battle which led to the death of some civilians and humanitarian aid workers of the International Committee and Red Cross, ICRC.

Reports suggests that up to 52 people were killed and 200 injured by the strike.

Maj-Gen Irabor explained that the intended target were Boko Haram militant.

Having a received a report about the gathering of Boko Haram terrorists around Kale Balge of Maiduguri, Maj- Gen Irabor “coordinated and directed that the air component of the operation should go and address the problem.

“Unfortunately, the strike was conducted but it turned out that other civilians were somewhere around the area and they were affected,” he said. “It was disturbing that deaths of civilian had occurred.”

Nigeria’s Commander in Chief, President Muhammadu Buhari who expressed deep sadness at “this regrettable operational mistake,” has ordered an investigation into the accident.

The President’s message was conveyed by his Chief of Staff, Abba Kyari at an official visit to Borno State.

The Senate President Bukola Saraki said his “prayers are with the families and victims of accidental bombing in Rann Community of Borno State”

A message from a chieftain of the All Progressive Congress United Kingdom, Ade Omole gave succour to the one from the Senate President.

Mr Omole prayed for God to “give the victims and families the strength to bear the great pain.”

 

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s